Location: Santa Paula, California
Primary Objective of the Position:
The primary function of this position is the timely and cost effective procurement of agricultural chemicals and fertilizers that Fruit Growers Supply Co. can provide to our customers. In conjunction, this position is responsible for managing and building our customer base, and building customer relations through providing chemical/fertilizer recommendations that will maximize customer’s production needs.
Minimum Educational and Experience Qualifications/Requirements:
- Valid PCA (Pest Control Advisor) license REQUIRED
- Four year degree in Agriculture or Business; or equivalent education and work experience related to agriculture or purchasing.
- Previous experience working for an agricultural-related company preferred
- Candidate must have strong verbal/written communication skills, and the ability to effectively collaborate with others within a diverse and multicultural team
- Ability to exercise self-motivation, flexibility, initiative, and good judgement
- Excellent documentation skills to translate/relay sales/order based projects progress to others
- The ability to interact and work on a cross-functional team environment is fundamental
- SAP knowledge is preferred
- Strong computer skills are required including Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, Outlook
- Familiarity with supplies and equipment used by citrus packinghouses and growers is a plus
- Valid unrestricted California driver’s license and a reliable automobile available for business use as required
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Customer Relations & Sales Development:
- Recommend and sell chemical/fertilizer products to current customer base and walk-in traffic
- Work directly with customers to create solutions and build long term relationships that will generate sales of fertilizers and agricultural chemicals
- Establish, maintain and expand customer base for given territory
- Implement sales plans, establish and meet sales goals, and network with industry representatives to expand sales opportunities• Recommend products and applications to improve crop production
- Examine fields and help growers discover best practices for crop care and yield
Buying/ Ordering/ Invoicing:
- Initiate correspondence to members and suppliers regarding orders
- Receive orders by email, telephone, and in person from members, and place orders with the most advantageous supplier
- Quote prices and credit terms to customers
- Prepare purchase orders by verifying specifications and prices
- Assign retail selling prices to merchandise based on cost, and relays pricing information to the FGS team and customer base
- Communicate with management and FGS team regarding products being sold, inventory/stock issues, and open orders
- Maintain wide knowledge of sources of supply for numerous items used in citrus groves and packinghouse operations
- Responsible for improvising and finding alternative sources and solutions in helping members meet their buying needs
- Maintain communications between buying offices, other FGS employees, and customers to insure that FGS commitments are met
- Receive routine calls from vendor sales representatives and maintain a wide acquaintance with vendors’ products, prices, availability, and market conditions
- Provide excellent customer service and develop service/order tracking mechanisms
- Keep current on agronomic products, trends, problems, services, and resources
- Continue education/training to stay relevant within your field
- Identify and work to resolve customer concerns
- Project positive company image
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
The performance of these responsibilities presumes full attention to:
- Complying with all the Company policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the integrity of and professional image of the Company in dealing with other Company employees and customer representatives.
General Responsibilities and Skills:
- Communicate well with others in accomplishing assigned tasks/functions.• Work collaboratively with others.
- Cope well with pressure.
- Be service oriented.
- Act with honesty and integrity toward the Company, its employees and customers.
Fruit Growers Supply Company (‘FGS”) is a dynamic organization and is continually evaluating changes to meet the needs of its customers. The duties of FGS’ employees will change to reflect the changing needs of the Company. This job description, while highly descriptive of the representative duties of the position, is not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties may arise which are not specifically written. It is expected that employees will follow all reasonable and legal instructions of their supervisor when asked.
Email us with your resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org