Location: Woodlake, CA
The primary function of this position is to procure and manage inventory ensuring customers can purchase stock and special order goods in a timely and fluid manner while managing inventory values and turns, and product assortment costs, margins, and retail selling prices.
Minimum Educational and Experience:
- A four-year degree in a business or agriculture related field is preferred, or equivalent education and work experience related to purchasing, inventory management, and agriculture.
- Three to five years of buying/purchasing experience is required.
- Three to five years of inventory management experience is required.
- Must possess a strong understanding of inventory management principals and processes such as forecasting, setting accurate minimums, managing/tracking inventory turns, assessing inventory value, managing inventory loss and write-offs, FIFO, etc.
- Familiarity with supplies and equipment used in packinghouses is preferred.
- Familiarity with products used by growers including irrigation supplies and equipment, harvesting supplies, and orchard maintenance supplies is preferred.
- Must possess a strong background in customer service. Must have the ability to establish, maintain and promote high standards of customer service.
- Three to five years of experience in warehouse operations, large scale distribution operations, or a retail environment is preferred.
- Must possess strong communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate product, inventory, and order details both externally and internally.
- Effective time management skills including the ability to manage one’s own schedule as well as the timely management of customer, vendor, and order follow-up.
- Must be fast paced, highly energetic, a self- starter, and possess a positive attitude.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office – Outlook, Excel, and Word (SAP knowledge a plus).
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) desirable.
- Proof of American citizenship and/or legal US work status.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Initiates correspondence to customers and suppliers regarding new and pending orders.
- Receives orders by email, telephone, or in person from customers. Places orders with the most advantageous supplier.
- Quotes prices and credit terms to customers.
- Prepares purchase orders and places sales orders, verifying specifications and prices.
- Manages orders to ensure all are fulfilled and billed in a timely manner without becoming overdue.
- Researches and works to secure the most advantageous vendor pricing for both stock and special order materials.
- Manages product costs through regular evaluation and vendor negotiations.
- Manages product GP through regular assessment, ensuring accuracy of both cost and retail pricing in the system, and by-category profitability/ margin integrity.
- Assigns retail selling prices to merchandise based on cost and margin parameters, and relays pricing information to the FGS team and customer base.
- Regularly evaluates inventory movement and makes recommendations to manage out slow moving and dead items.
- Routinely reviews inventory turns and shares assessment and recommendations to increase movement.
- Evaluates out of stocks and shares opportunities with the FGS buying team.
- Assesses inventory value by category and makes recommendations based on growth, ensuring inventory levels do not become overly inflated or depleted.
- Assists the operations and procurement teams in managing write-offs and loss.
- Promotes FIFO and other inventory management best practices to the operations center teams.
- Receives routine calls from vendor salespeople and maintains a wide acquaintance with vendor’s products, prices, availability, and market conditions.
- Maintains wide knowledge of sources of supply for numerous items used by growers and in packinghouse operations.
- Responsible for improvising and finding alternative sources and solutions in helping customers meet their buying needs.
- Maintains communications between departments, FGS employees, and customers to ensure that FGS commitments are met.
- Communicates with management and FGS team regarding products being sold, inventory/stock levels and/or issues, and open orders.
General Responsibilities and Skills: Subject to Change
- Ability to handle numerous and challenging projects simultaneously (multi task).
- Ability to develop effective relationships with Company personnel and customers.
- Ability to act at all times professionally and respectfully toward co-workers and third parties with whom the Company does business.
- Maintain consistency in work habits and interactions with co-workers and third parties.
- Maintain dependability standards set by management.
- Maintain regular attendance and excellent punctuality.
- Comply with all Company and departmental policies and procedures; alert management to ethical violations.
- Interact face-to-face, by phone or by electronic means with member packinghouses, co-workers, team members, management and other Company personnel on a daily basis to accomplish duties and responsibilities.
- Communicate well with others in accomplishing assigned tasks/functions.
- Work collaboratively with others.
- Cope well with pressure.
- Be service oriented.
- Act with honesty and integrity toward the Company, its employees and customers.
- Job may also require you to perform other duties not noted in this job description as needed.
The performance of these responsibilities presumes full attention to:
- Complying with all the Company policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the integrity of and professional image of the Company in dealing with other Company employees and customer representatives.
Fruit Growers Supply Company is a dynamic organization and is continually evaluating changes to meet the needs of our customers. The duties of our employees will change to reflect the changing needs of the company. This job description, while highly descriptive of the representative duties of the position, is not meant to be all-inclusive. Other duties may arise which are not specifically written. It is expected that employees will follow all reasonable and legal instructions of their supervisor when asked.
Email us with your resume and cover letter email@example.com