Location: Valencia, CA
The job of the Payroll Specialist was established for the purpose/s of processing payroll for approximately 200 + employees, which includes balancing and reconciling the biweekly payroll to both the payroll system and the general ledger. This position is responsible for compiling payroll data, making employee changes in addition to auditing all processes for accuracy. The Payroll Specialist communicates and works with Human Resources regarding terminations, new hires, employee data changes, long term disability and any other payroll related activities. The Specialist will perform all calendar year-end activities and processes.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for collection and review of employee time records, preparation, input and distribution of biweekly, and monthly payroll, payroll general ledgers and month-end reports.
- Responsible for balancing payroll and maintaining accurate information regarding payroll deductions and hours worked. Notifies accounting department of all charges and reconciles amounts.
- Acts as liaison between accounting department and payroll.
- Requests stop payments on payroll checks and calculates any special checks as required.
- Responsible for calculating final checks for terminating employees and ensuring that final checks are delivered to the appropriate location in accordance with legal requirements.
- Responds to authorized governmental agencies and court requests for payroll information including subpoenas, wage assignments, Unemployment Benefit audits, and verification of employment.
- Responsible for sending quarterly files and annual files including W-2s to Ceridian and verifying returns and W-2s are correct.
- Makes any necessary payroll adjustments in an accurate manner to all agencies.
- Completes all year end reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Distributes and files payroll reports and other payroll related documents.
- Coordinates and provides leadership to other company divisions regarding payroll matters.
- Facilitates management and employee understanding of payroll procedures.
- Maintains Workers Compensation records for all locations and coordinates claims with Workers Compensation insurance provider.
Secondary Job Functions
- Maintains a neat work area and displays a professional appearance and personal conduct at all times.
- Maintains regular and timely attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
- In charge of records retention of payroll documents and related reconciliations.
- Continual training on new software releases and updates.
- Identify process improvements and efficiencies.
- Attends company and department meetings as requested.
Education and Experience
- College graduate or equivalent combination of experience and education. Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a payroll processor, specialist, administrator and/or coordinator.
- At least 2 years’ experience with a large HRIS system such UltiPro, Kronos, or Ceridian. UltiPro is a plus.
- Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred.
- BI Reporting knowledge.
- Knowledge of state and federal wage and tax laws and overtime requirements including FLSA and DOL.
- Knowledge of payroll related benefits administration which includes transmission of 401k contributions, census reports, and billing reconciliation.
- Must be able to work in a highly confidential environment.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Strong administrative writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills are essential.
- Exceptional time management abilities, strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- The ability to work independently and carry out assignments to completion within parameter of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Must have strong problem solving capabilities and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percent’s, and/or ratios.
- Strong computer skills: must be proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook; ability to operate standard office equipment.
Fruit Growers Supply Company is a dynamic organization and is continually evaluating changes to meet the needs of our customers. The duties of our employees will change to reflect the changing needs of the company. This job description, while highly descriptive of the representative duties of the position, is not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties may arise which are not specifically written. It is expected that employees will follow all reasonable and legal instructions of their supervisor when asked.