Our Sustainable Forestry Policy
We manage our forests for the sustainable production of wood products while ensuring abundant and healthy forests for future generations, and we have been doing this since 1907. We are committed to the “Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) 2015-2019 Standard.” Our commitment to this program is shared throughout all of our divisions.
- Our commitment to sustainability is all-inclusive and integrates the management, harvesting and reforestation of our timberlands with responsible conservation of soil, air, water, wildlife, and aesthetic qualities.
- We harvest over the long term, and at sustainable rates.
- We promptly reforest after harvesting; usually immediately, but always within 2 years after harvest.
- We utilize state-of-the-art silvicultural and best management practices to ensure the maximum sustained production of our forest resource, simultaneously protecting the environment.
- We protect soil productivity and stability using equipment and best management practices that minimize disturbance and erosion.
- We preserve our forest lands’ unique biological, geological and historical qualities and sites.
- We continuously work to protect water quality through erosion prevention and riparian protection zones.
- We deliver a diversity of habitats for wildlife, and we contribute to the conservation of biological diversity across the landscapes where we have ownership.
- We maintain healthy forests and minimize losses caused by fire, insects and disease.
- We believe in protecting threatened and endangered species and work with government agencies to aid in their conservation.
- We strongly consider aesthetic values in our management and harvest activities and adopt practices accordingly.