California is such a bountiful hotspot for fruits and vegetables of all kinds that sometimes it’s hard to remember what kinds of produce you can get your hands on and when. Thankfully, you have some tools to help you out: California seasonal produce tends to come out on a pretty regular schedule, and thanks to our guide you never have to be left in the dark again. Read our cheat sheet for the best times to eat the best fruits and veggies right here at Fruit Growers Supply.
Best Seasons For Fruit
- Apples should be harvested between August and December and are typically in-season throughout the year, with a slight dip in availability and quality in the springtime.
- Watermelons are harvested from June through September; this California seasonal produce is best consumed in the summer and fall.
- Apricots are best harvested from May to July, and these tasty morsels are at their peak flavor during the early summer.
- Tangerines are small in size, but they’re a big player on our California seasonal produce chart: they’re in season for almost the entire year, and that means you can harvest them from October all the way into March of next year.
- Bush Berries like raspberries and blackberries should be harvested throughout the summer and can be enjoyed from the springtime through the fall.
- Tangelos are a unique strain of California seasonal produce that are harvested from November through February and are only at their peak during the winter, so enjoy them while they’re around! Cantaloupes should be harvested in the summer and eaten during the fall for best results.
- Strawberries are a perennial people pleaser that are best harvested from March through July so as to best be enjoyed throughout the summer.
- Cherries make a fantastic snack that can be harvested from May to July and taste great throughout the corresponding spring and summer months.
- Pomegranates dominate the frostier end of California seasonal produce, being harvested throughout the fall and reaching the peak of their taste in the early winter.
- Figs have a tricky crop schedule: they’re best harvested in June and August (remember to skip over them in July!) but taste great throughout the majority of the year, barring the winter months.
- Grapefruit is a constant presence on the California seasonal produce chart, seeing as they can be grown and harvested throughout almost the entire year and are in season for just as long to boot.
- Plums and Prunes can be picked from June through September and are at their tastiest in the summer and fall.
- Grapes are popular California seasonal produce that can be harvested throughout the second half of the year, and are in season for almost the entire stretch of the calendar.
Best Seasons For Vegetables
- Artichokes are a reliable standby that are typically harvested from March through June so as to be eaten through the summer and early fall.
- Squash may have a reputation as a wintertime veggie, but it’s in season for the majority of the year and can be harvested in a large window from April through November.
- Asparagus is a mainstay of California seasonal produce that is picked from March through June and can best be eaten from spring to early summer.
- Spinach is a vital component of any healthy diet, so it’s good to know that it can be both harvested and eaten at almost any time of the year!
- Snap Beans are a small veggie that occupy a big chunk of the California seasonal produce chart, having an ideal picking window of May through November and tasting great in almost any season save the fall.
- Radishes are another big player when it comes to California seasonal produce, having a harvest window that contains almost the whole year and staying in season through the winter, spring and summer months.
- Beets can be picked from the beginning of June to the end of Fall and can be eaten throughout the majority of the year.
- Potatoes are a dietary mainstay in many households, but act fast: they should only be harvested from May through August, and are only at their peak through the spring and summer months.
- Broccoli is a nutritious entity that finds a place on many plates throughout the year, since it’s a type of California seasonal produce that can be harvested in most seasons and eaten for the entire year.
- Green Peas always have a place at the table, and they can be harvested throughout the first half of the year and eaten with confidence up until the fall.
- Brussel Sprouts have a wide harvest time, from the middle of fall to the beginning of spring, and can be enjoyed throughout almost the entire year.
- Onions can be found in nearly every dish and as such enjoy a wide berth on the California seasonal produce chart, having an ideal picking time of May through November and being consumable throughout the entire year.
- Cabbage is yet another piece of classic California seasonal produce, and it can be harvested from mid-autumn through midsummer, making it an integral part of any farmer’s stock.
Get the Most from Your Crops with Fruit Growers Supply
This is only a selection of the fruits and veggies California produces throughout the year, and with the proper irrigation system you can make sure you’ll be able to give great food to your customers all year round. If you’d like to know more about how you can maximize your output for each and every California produce season, get in touch with us now and ask about the tools and resources we can provide you with. Join the Fruit Growers Supply family today and make every harvest a good one!