California is such a bountiful hotspot for fruits and vegetables of all kinds that sometimes it’s hard to remember what fruit is in season right now. Thankfully, you have some tools to help you out: seasonal produce in California tends to come out on a pretty regular schedule, and thanks to our guide you never have to be left in the dark again. Read our cheat sheet to discover what vegetables and fruits are in season in California.
Best Seasons for Fruit: What Fruit Is in Season Right Now?
- Apples should be harvested between August and December and are typically in-season throughout the year, with a slight dip in availability and quality in the springtime.
- Watermelons are harvested from June through September; this seasonal produce in California is best consumed in the summer and fall.
- Apricots are best harvested from May to July, and these tasty morsels are at their peak flavor during the early summer.
- Tangelos are a unique strain of seasonal produce in California that are harvested from November through February and are only at their peak during the winter, so enjoy them while they’re around!
- Cantaloupes should be harvested in the summer and eaten during the fall for best results.
- Strawberries are a perennial people pleaser that is best harvested from March through July. This fruit is in season in California throughout the summer.
- Cherries make a fantastic snack that can be harvested from May to July and taste great throughout the corresponding spring and summer months.
- Pomegranates dominate the frostier end of California seasonal produce, being harvested throughout the fall and reaching the peak of their taste in the early winter.
- Figs have a tricky crop schedule: they’re best harvested in June and August (remember to skip over them in July!). However, this fruit is considered in season in California throughout the majority of the year, barring the winter months.
- Grapefruit is a constant presence on the California seasonal produce chart, seeing as they can be grown and harvested throughout almost the entire year and are in season for just as long to boot. If you’re asking yourself, “what fruit is in season right now?”, you’ll be pleased to know that you can enjoy these year-round.
- Plums and Prunes can be picked from June through September and are at their tastiest in the summer and fall.
- Grapes are popular California seasonal produce that can be harvested throughout the second half of the year and are in season for almost the entire stretch of the calendar.
Best Seasons For Vegetables
- Artichokes are a reliable standby that is typically harvested from March through June and eaten through the summer and early fall.
- Squash may have a reputation as a wintertime veggie, but it’s in season for the majority of the year and can be harvested in a large window from April through November.
- Asparagus is a mainstay of California seasonal produce that is picked from March through June and is best eaten from spring to early summer.
- Spinach is a vital component of any healthy diet, so it’s good to know that it can be both harvested and eaten at almost any time of the year!
- Snap Beans are a small veggie that occupies a big chunk of the California seasonal produce chart. They have an ideal picking window of May through November and taste great in almost any season save the fall.
- Radishes are another big player when it comes to California seasonal produce. They have a harvest window that contains almost the whole year and stay in season through the winter, spring, and summer months.
- Beets can be picked from the beginning of June to the end of Fall and can be eaten throughout the majority of the year.
- Potatoes are a dietary mainstay in many households, but act fast: they should only be harvested from May through August and are only at their peak through the spring and summer months.
- Broccoli is a nutritious choice that finds a place on many plates year-round since it’s a type of seasonal produce in California that can be harvested in most seasons and eaten throughout the entire year.
- Green Peas always have a place at the table, and they can be harvested throughout the first half of the year and eaten with confidence up until the fall.
- Brussel Sprouts have a wide harvest time, from the middle of fall to the beginning of spring, and can be enjoyed throughout almost the entire year.
- Onions can be found in nearly every dish. They have an ideal picking time of May through November and are consumable throughout the entire year.
- Cabbage is yet another piece of classic seasonal produce in California, and it can be harvested from mid-autumn through midsummer, making it an integral part of any farmer’s stock.
Get the Most from Your Crops with Fruit Growers Supply
This California seasonal produce chart contains only a selection of the veggies and fruits in season in California throughout the year. With the proper irrigation system, shipping materials, and pallets, you can ensure you’ll provide great food to your customers all year round. If you’d like to know more about how you can maximize your output each California produce season, contact us for a quote to ask about the tools and resources we can provide you with. We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and competitive pricing to ensure that you get the best deals and flexible solutions for your needs.
Join the Fruit Growers Supply family today and make every harvest a good one!
You must be logged in to post a comment.